Wednesday, May 16, 2012

23 Weeks: Bed Rest Day 21

No pictures this week. The ultrasound tech I had today kind of sucked, and she couldn't get a decent shot of Anya's face. Good news is, my cervix measurement was 2.3cm today, so a step in the right direction. I thought all was okay, until the tech came back in and said the doctor wanted to see me. My first thought was, what could be wrong now? The doctor came in, and said that at their last team meeting there was a debate on whether or not to do a cervical cerclage on me, weighing the benefits against the risks. They really only have less than a week to actually put a cerclage in, based on my baby's gestation because 24 weeks is basically the cutoff. Even at this point, there is an increased risk of perforating my bladder, breaking the amniotic sac, and risk of infection. If I had a cerclage and went into preterm labor, there is a risk of uterine rupture with steady contractions. He also said with my unicornuate uterus, the baby is going to run out of room sooner anyway which will lead to pre term labor, and a cerclage will not prevent that. So at this point, I have no idea of they are actually going to do it...

I told them I had two tiny, irregular contractions yesterday, but nothing today. They put me on the contraction monitor for 20 minutes, and I did not have any contractions. They also decided that since my cervix is difficult to scan, they decided to do a pelvic exam to make sure my cervix wasn't softening or effacing. They tried to call my new OB that I have not seen yet to do it, but she was in L&D so she sent a resident. Luckily, my cervix was firm and closed. I guess I am lucky that for the health of my baby, I don't feel violated by multiple people probing and prodding me...

I've been a little depressed this week and very much stir crazy. I haven't had the urge to crochet. I had a down day yesterday, back to mourning that I will never get the chance to bring a healthy baby home from the hospital (at the same time I get discharged). I also just want to go out somewhere... And am very much looking forward to going out to lunch tomorrow with my Courtney!

Next appt is next Wednesday at 8AM, cervix check and fetal cardiology...

23 Weeks: 192.2 lbs (+3.6 lbs, from 3 weeks on bed rest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment